2.2 Identify Your Unique Opportunities
In addition to being aware of your strengths, it is also important to explore and take advantage of your unique opportunities. Life in its complexity can present them to you in various ways. In this article we will explore three areas that are common candidates for an opportunity. Note that the reasoning of these examples can be applied to other areas as well.
Think about your social position.
- Do you have access to a mailing list?
- Are you a public speaker and regularly attend conferences?
- Do you have an extensive network of personal connections?
- Can you think of trusted people in your circle to form a team with?
- Do you have access to influencers or businesses you may be able to refer?
- Are you part of a closed community with shared interests?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, we recommend to build your strategy around these opportunities before exploring external audiences. Follow the link below if you want to learn more about how to refer your circle.
The advantage of capturing social opportunities is that you will have much higher conversion rates compared to external audiences. You can target a known person with individually tailored messaging and present your own experience with LockTrip as a trusted testimony.
Depending on which questions you answered with 'Yes', you may be able to reach a much wider audience than other affiliates who lack such opportunities.
Act responsibly when capturing social opportunities. Many will only be available once.
The first impression is what counts. Make sure to test your strategy with a sub-set of your target group and only scale after approving its effectiveness.
Think about your geographical position.
- Are you living in a touristic region?
- Do you have special knowledge about certain travel destinations?
- Do you have access to cheap labor force and tourists with high purchasing power?
- Are you living in a densely populated area?
- Does your city host public events regularly?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, we recommend that you build your strategy around your local opportunities before exploring international alternatives.
In case you want to target international customers through online channels, but still take advantage of your local knowledge, follow the link below to learn more about how to become a local guide.
The advantage of capturing local opportunities (beyond being a local guide) is that you have many more options to choose from by adding local interactions and physical presence as additional elements to your arsenal of tools.
Depending on your strategy, you can engage directly with an unlimited amount of potential customers utilizing tools such as printed gift cards (secret codes), flyers or merchandise. You can access local events and partner with local businesses (more on that in the section below).
Geographical opportunities are unlimited and very friendly towards trial & error.
Think about your own and other people's businesses.
- Do you own a business or have contact with executives?
- Are you responsible for the bookings of the company you work for?
- Do you know local restaurants or stores that may be interested in becoming affiliates?
- Does your job include frequent interactions with people?
- Do you know someone whose job involves frequent interactions?
If the answer to any of these questions is 'Yes', then we recommend you to explore strategies around your business related opportunities before exploring private alternatives.
Referring businesses or inviting them to become affiliates themselves is a powerful strategy to quickly scale your income. If you want to learn more about becoming a LockTrip Agent, please follow the link below.
The advantage of capturing business related opportunities is that you automatically build on the foundations of an entity that has been scaled already. Businesses make up the center of economic activity and naturally generate a high number of engagements with a broad range of people.
Sometimes it is possible to find synergies that allow all parties to benefit. A delivery service for example could attach a secret code (free gift card) to each delivery and boost their revenue without additional effort or investment. As a LockTrip Agent you would receive a share on all referred bookings.
If you are taxi driver, you could hand out secret codes yourself directly, generating your own referrals for a higher income.
A single business can be worth dozens of referrals.